Sunday, June 16, 2013

DWM - 6/17/13


I finished up two more of the flower blocks in Judy of Green Fairy Quilts 'Flower Patch' quilt pattern sew along.  Pretty wild!

     
I finished the next step of the  Jelly Roll Sew Along at Aunt Reen's Place - a quilt pattern called 'willow weave'.  I'm anxious to see this one all together, love this fabric!


And I won a gift certificate to Southern Fabric  thru Melissa's give away over at Happy Quilting - I had stated I would love some 'Serenade' by Kate Spain - guess what - I got some.  And I am happily playing with it for a project entry in the Kate Spain Hop (see side bar button).



And Friday, as my SIL and I were stitching along while listening to the tunes - the skies opened up and we heard a roar.  From my back porch we could see the water running down the mountain behind us, past the corner of the house, to the side pasture, and into the front cornfield - and see how the rain got worse with each photo!!  By the time we went back to re-check the back of the house you couldn't get a photo as it was raining so hard.  The water was just gushing off the mountain like a huge waterfall(I prayed my car wasn't being washed away-or my Mom's visitor's car) and that trickle was a raging river that submerged the side pasture and the field.  Scary!!!!

We were in another State of Emergency with many of the small towns still reeling from Irene -  luckily Saturday was dry and Sunday was spotty small storms - but with all the water, the ground is so saturated that areas are having huge mud slides.  (yes, the crazy quilt project was canceled as that town was hit heavily)

We haven't been up the mountain behind us as the road has to be stablized first - it must be bad as the deer herds have been camping out in our back yard, well all the homes along the base have them with other wildlife who must be really bewildered.  We need the SUN!!   


And my wildlife fur babies - Moe has been hiding out in one of the upstair's bedrooms and Bella can't keep close enough to me - I had to leave my finishing up of The Lorax quilt as she finally slept.  See, when Irene hit at one point we had to evacuate the main farm and go up the mountain - the cats were left in the house with the attic open so they could get to the highest point if need be - Bella was extremely traumatized by that experience, so any storm she just clings to me or sits on top of the frig and cries .

OH Thank You- those two Jeeps were still sitting there (and worked) when things subsided!  

linking up with Patchwork Times for design wall Monday

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

19 comments:

Grammasheri said...

So glad you're safe...again! And the cars are still there!

Those flower blocks are so striking and the fabric for the willow-weave quilt is lovely.

Keep playin' in the fabric...hope it helps calm the nerves!

Anonymous said...

OMG those pics ,tell a very scary episode ,glad you are all safe and poor Bella,stay safe my friend.xx

KaHolly said...

This weather is crazy. But your blocks are great!

Sheila said...

I'm glad you are safe! What a scary post. I know you were terrified.
Beautiful blocks.
Wishing for some moderate weather for your area, dear. Take care.

Dana Gaffney said...

I like the blocks, the stripes do make it wild, but very cool. I wish I could send you sunshine, you and your town have had enough bad weather. Cuddle the babies for me, our poor animals don't understand any of this.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Sounds like things have been busy in more ways than one! Congrats on your win and your quilt-a-long projects are looking great! :)

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Wow! that is some rain!! Glad you are all safe and dry.
Cute flower blocks! It will look great all together!

Bonnie said...

Lots of excitement at home whether you want it or not. Glad the kittys were safe even if they were a bit freaked out I love how your Flower Patch blocks look. Very cool.

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh my Sharon - I love that fabric in the center of your Flower Patch blocks! Just perfect!! And oh you lucky girl - Kate Spain fabric - yay!!!!

I can't imagine what it has been like for you and your furries during this weather situation! So scary to see that water heading your way!! Praying for the sun to come out and help things get back to normal around there!

Sheila said...

Goodness Sharon , that is really scary that much rain in such a short time is never good , hope the sun is shining today . Great blocks and the nine patch quilt along looks wonderful.

Mary said...

Glad the storm passed and the vehicles are ok. Nice projects to while away the time.

Nita said...

Oh, winning Kate Spain! That must have added a few rays of sunshine to what sounds like truly awful weather!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

So glad the rain finally stopped and kitty got some rest.

Lesley said...

Sharon, so glad you didn't float away! It must have been very frightening. Glad you are fine and back at it...your blocks are great...especially love those bright ones!

Aunt 'Reen said...

I hope your weather is improving! Happy to hear you are all safe!
Great flower blocks. Your jelly roll fabrics are so pretty. Congrats on your win and getting those pretty Kate Spain fabrics.

Needled Mom said...

Wow! That's a lot of rain and mud.

Those flower blocks look great. Very interesting!

Congratulations on the Seranade. I loved that too.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those are great 'stripe' blocks at the top.

Joanna said...

Boy, you do need the sun and a good drying out spell. It's been one tough weather system. Hope July is better. People here complain about the rain because the tomatoes aren't growing, but that's nothing compared to seeing your car float by. Good luck in the Kate Spain blog hop. Her fabric designs are so pretty.

Belinda said...

So glad you were ok! Love the quilt blocks!!