Sunday, June 23, 2013

Recognizing Long Armers


I posted this photo once before - a wallhanging that was a mystery QAL with my LQS during one of those sports play-off thingies - don't remember which one.  It sat stuck to the design wall for a long time as I didn't know how to finish it off and got distracted with other projects.

Yes, it has a mistake - that upper right hand corner - got fixed before it got sent off too.........



Marcia at Crafty, Sewing - she reminded me I had won a quilting with her long ago for a small piece.  Off it went and Marcia worked her magic.



What a difference from that flat piece to a lovely quilted finish.  I left the thread choice up to her - a nice charcoal grey with a paisley swirl pattern just compliments so nicely.



Here's the back to show off the quilting - thank you Marcia.  **I won another quilting with Marcia for the 'Favorite Block QAL' and that quilt is on it's way to her - but she get's to enjoy some family and summer vacation time first - so we will share that one in August.



And this quilt has sat in a tote for ??? years - well, I have only been quilting for 5 yrs, so not as old as dirt.  It was an early inter-net find and I don't remember the source or would give credit.  I do remember the sunflowers were needle turn applique and I didn't do a lot of applique at the time - so made mine paperpieced, but the stems and leaves are appliqued.



And I think this was the first project I actually bought fabric for specifically.  I am so glad I have taken the time to learn about different fabric lines, companies and designers - it has taken my quilting a lot further.



I love the basket blocks , but this quilt would look so much better in other fabrics,  BUT - I sent these three photos on to Valerie at Pumpkin Patch Quilter to request her wonderful long arm services.  Valerie has some wonderful insite on threads and quilting on her blog - go visit. Within a couple hours she sent me back photos with pattern overlays of what she would plan for this.  I know I chose the right person to make this quilt into something wonderful.  It is on it's way to her as we speak.  And I can't wait to share it's finish!

Do you have a favorite long armer? Do you like to have different long armers play or do you stick to just one?  Maybe it's just me, I love different fabrics, colors, patterns, techniques - and I think there is so much talent out there to compliment each one - so I send  my quilts off to different long armers to finish playing with them.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon 

8 comments:

Christine M said...

Your quilt has come up nicely Sharon. Doesn't quilting make a difference! I love your other top too. I tend to use the same quilter. She is a local girl and does the most amazing quilting.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I love your quilts,Sharon, especially the great job Marcia did on the first one. We have several long armers in my guild, I use one of them for most of my long arming.

Lesley said...

Wow...such wonderful quilts! The black, grey, and white quilt is stunning...and super quilting! Your flimsy is striking as well...it will be gorgeous when the quilting is complete. I am thankful for the wonderful long armers I have used...each has done superb quilting for me!

Joanna said...

This is a coincidence, but yesterday I was FMQ a small project and thinking to myself that I didn't enjoy it very much, especially because I wasn't doing it well. Thank you for the info on LAQ. I need to look into it further. That first quilt you show is eye catching, and the quilting is super.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've only had one quilt long arm quilted. It was scary to turn that quilt over to her, even tho I'd seen her work many times (she's in my guild). She did a great job.

Needled Mom said...

Isn't it fun to see the tops all done with beautiful quilting? I have had Mary Flynn (Quilt Hollow) "frost" some of my quilts and she does a fabulous job.

KatieQ said...

I always enjoy seeing pictures of Marcia's quilting. She has such a great eye for what will bring out the best in a quilt. I've never sent a quilt to a longarmer. The prices in our area are very high and I have never made a quilt that I thought justified paying for. I'm sure I will create a worthy quilt someday. When I do, I will ask for your recommendation as to who I should send it to.

Belinda said...

Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful!! I was amazed to learn just now that you have only been quilting for 5 years. I assumed by the caliber of your work that you had been doing it for decades. ;)